Common drainage problems and how to prevent them
Imagine having your perfect dream house. You are sitting on your couch during rainy season sipping your hot coffee and enjoying the view. Then, it suddenly hit you. Your water drainage system is flawed and the next thing you know, your perfect day is already ruined. This happens to a lot of house owners.
Though you can solve it by watching YouTube tutorials or calling someone from the plumbing agency, it is still good to prevent it from happening first.
Below is the list of common water drainage system problem and how you can prevent it from occurring:
- Undirected water downspout
The water drain system works well when you know how to place the elements in the right place. An undirected downspout can damage your lawn by turning it into a swamp or it can cause plants to die out. Therefore, the best way to prevent this is by placing your water downspout directly to the grassy marsh full of water-loving plants.
There are also other ways that you can do it. Other solutions in directing downspout include:
- The use of French drain. This method uses channels that hold pipes with small holes underground with some gravel covering it. The pipes are connected to the sewers.
- The use of the dry well. This method is very similar to French drain but instead of being connected to the sewers it is directed to a well underground.
- Clogged drain
If you notice that your round laundry sink is not draining as fast as it usually does then it’s time for you to check it. Neglecting it may lead to a clogging problem. One way to prevent this from happening is by conducting drain maintenance every other week. You don’t need to be a plumber to do this. Here are some easy ways of performing drain maintenance: Check it out at Everhard
- Use strainers to cover your drainage sink. This will help filter hair, food crumbs, and other stuff that may cause clogging.
- Run some hot water to your sink every week. This will melt crystallized materials that are forming in the sink and prevents future problems.
- Pour some baking soda with hot water or vinegar.
You also need to remember that your sink’s performance depends on its quality. Some of this may not apply to the ones you have at home. So, make sure you’ve done your research on some high-quality drainage sink to prevent clogging problems.
- Not enough grading
The ideal time for standing water to disappear is within 24 hours. Therefore, you need to have the necessary grading for this to happen. If you can’t meet the landscape criteria then the water will have a hard time finding its way through the drainage channel.
The wastewater treatment systems located in some drainage ways will also affect the time the water dissipates. Thus, with the proper slope of at least 1.5% and a good surface water drainage system, you can avoid flood and standing water during stormy days.
Visit everhard.com.au for more information.